Note: Please be advised that this news article contains details of a violent crime. Reader discretion is strongly advised.
Marion Barter, a 51-year-old mother of two, disappeared without a trace in 1997. Her disappearance has baffled investigators for over 25 years, but a new inquest is underway in hopes of finally bringing closure to her family.
Marion Barter Inquest
The inquest into the disappearance of Marion Barter, a Gold Coast mother who vanished in 1997, resumed in Lismore, New South Wales, on July 11, 2023.
Barter was last seen in Southport, Queensland, on June 22, 1997. She had quit her job, sold her house, and told her daughter she was going on a sabbatical to Europe. However, she never arrived in Europe, and her body has never been found.
The inquest has heard evidence from a number of witnesses, including Barter’s daughter, Sally Leydon, and her former boyfriend, Ric Blum. Blum has been identified as a key witness in the case, as he was in contact with Barter in the weeks leading up to her disappearance.
Blum has told the inquest that he and Barter had an affair, and that she was planning to leave her husband for him. He has also said that he believes Barter is still alive, and that she may have changed her identity.
The inquest is expected to hear further evidence from Blum in the coming weeks. The coroner, Magistrate Teresa O’Sullivan, is expected to deliver her findings in the inquest in September 2023.
The case of Marion Barter has captured the attention of the public, and there has been a lot of speculation about what happened to her. The inquest is an opportunity to get to the truth about her disappearance, and to bring closure to her family and friends.
Marion Barter Case Details
here are some of the case details surrounding the disappearance of Marion Barter:
- Date: June 22, 1997
- Location: Southport, Queensland, Australia
- Victim: Marion Barter, 51
- Last seen: Barter was last seen at a bus station in Southport on June 22, 1997. She had quit her job, sold her house, and told her daughter she was going on a sabbatical to Europe. However, she never arrived in Europe, and her body has never been found.
- Investigation: The investigation into Barter’s disappearance has been ongoing for over 25 years. Police have interviewed hundreds of witnesses and searched several locations, but they have not been able to find any evidence of what happened to her.
- Suspects: There have been no arrests in the case, but police have named Ric Blum as a person of interest. Blum was Barter’s former boyfriend, and he was in contact with her in the weeks leading up to her disappearance. He has denied any involvement in her disappearance.
- Theory: One theory is that Barter was murdered by Blum. Blum has a history of violence against women, and he was reportedly angry that Barter was planning to leave him for another man. However, there is no evidence to support this theory.
- Other theories: Other theories include that Barter committed suicide or that she disappeared voluntarily. However, there is no evidence to support either of these theories.
The case of Marion Barter is a mystery that has baffled investigators for over 25 years. There is no clear answer to what happened to her, and her disappearance remains unsolved.